Wednesday

Don't Blame it on The Weather.

Yesterday I walked into town. The bathroom sink needed a plunger, I needed food and the house needed a break from me pacing the floors trying to retain archaeological information. As I trotted in along Western Rd I met a man who fell into step with me. It was sort of awkward in so far as I didn't know him, I had headphones in my ears and I really didn't need a town companion. After the first minute I realised he was there to stay, so I removed one earphone, the one in the ear closest to my new best friend.

"Very dull isn't it?" he says when he realises he has my attention. For a heart stopping moment I thought he meant my outfit. It was true, I had not gone to any great effort in my attire, I had showered, brushed my hair and I had wore reasonably clean clothes. This was not something I was about to defend to Mr. Stranger.

"Pardon?" was the tentative response I found myself ask."The weather, it's getting very dull again." "Oh, yeah. It is abit alright- I'd say we are gonna get rain", I muster now that I realise he hasn't insulted me. I was happy in my improvisation considering I had no intention of speaking on my journey.

My fellow stroller wasn't too pleased with my assumption however. "Jesus, I hope not, that would be awful." Before I know it Mr. Man has walked on and then crosses the road. If I hadn't been so surprised by the verbal onslaught I may have adopted and kept a complex from the experience.

Instead I make a promise. From now on when people begin a conversation with me, even if I know them, I feign a lack of the English language.

Everyone is a winner.

2 comments:

Anthony said...

Was that that poor man that buys lots of milk and hangs around gilabbey street area?
"lovely day ins't it"
etc.

Cia said...

He sometimes picks up rubbish on the street? Same guy!