Friday

auschwitz is the worst word in the world- I have tried to learn to spell it for the last ten minutes to no avail. It is driving me crazy, I can't imagine the housemates think I am that normal given I have been chanting the word for countless minutes n ow- they probably want me out.

I have an exam in.... under two hours. It is on the novel Times Arrow written by Martin Amis. Apparently it's great. The writer decided to confuse the shite out of me by starting the book at the end. As in we are first introduced to the book with the death of the Nazi Doctor (as he is referred too countless times online...) in an automobile accident in the U.S.

We are then brought back in time as he gets younger and younger and then back to his birth in Germany.My favourite part and idea of the book is when the author simply states that he wants to slow things down, he wants things to stop with some pauses, he would like a semi colon and then the last sentence is structured in such a way that there is a semi colon.

The book deals with the Holocaust which is considered the "central event of the 20th century". Amis goes backwards in an attempt to show the irony of the ideology behind the Holocaust, which was apparently that killing was a healing process- clearly people are mental.

Basically the book is arse ways- it is all about how we would be better off to live a full life and then dies as babies. So the arrow of life is going in the opposite direction.

I give me a first.

No comments: